What are the benefits of doing this? Why do so many people downsize and live simpler? It's quite simple, it helps reduce stress. One reason it does this is by allowing you to work less. Can you imagine working part time? If you have a spouse, can you imagine them not needing to work? Want to live off of one income? Would you like to retire early? What is most important to you? Do you want to have more time with your family? Do you want to spend more time doing the things you love to do? Here are a few tips to get your started.
1. Moving to a smaller place is a great way to start. Go from a 4 bedroom to a 3 bedroom. Move from a 3 bedroom to a 2 bedroom, a 2 to a 1 and a 1 to a studio. Then you can move into a smaller studio and even a tiny house. It forces you to have less stuff. DO NOT get a storage unit for your things unless it is for all of your things and for a short amount of time. People waste so much money on storing things that they don't even use. If you are not using it, sell it or give it away. If it is trash, through it away. Seems easy, it's not very easy to actually do something about it though.
2. Try to use up only half of the space that you have. Why not try it, if you have two cabinets, try only filling up one of them. Two closets? Get rid of stuff or sell things to make everything fit into one.
3. Buy mulitpurpose furniture. Get a murphey bed, sofa-bed, or a desk that is also a table to eat on.
4. Instead of buying a desktop, buy only a tablet if your circumstances allow it. Tablets don't even require a desk at all.
5. Mount your TV if you even have one. This frees up space and allows for less clutter since you wont have an entertainment center. Or... get rid of the TV. You can still use Netflix or Amazon Prime to watch your beloved shows. It is just a lot cheaper to pay $10 a month instead of $60 or $100+.
6. Have closed furniture like a dresser to make things look less cluttered.
7. Try not accumulating things that you don't need. Resist the urge to go to the store or mall when you don't need anything. If you need something specific write it down on a list and only buy it when you have the money and it is next on your list.
8. If you are a couple, try getting along with one car. It is less expenses on maintenance and gas that way. Maybe your spouse is basically only working to pay for the car. Think about it. :)
It is time to start making changes. Stop living this 'American Dream' of having a big house, fancy car, and the family dog but really just being in debt.